So no more glasses! March 20th I had eye surgery. It wasn't PRK or lasik. It's what's called Intralase. It's the most updated form of laser eye surgery. It's a blade free approach. It's pretty safe and more and more places like Gimbel are starting to do it and get away from doing PRK. I went to Eye-Q with Dr. Leong-Sit. He was awesome. Also very personable! I was impressed.
So I have, well had terrible eyes. Like -7.05 in one eye and -6.75 in the other. Both with a significant astigmatism. And I haven't been able to wear contacts much at all since November 2009. I had a pretty good eye infection that left an ulcer, and every since then my eyes could not tolerate contacts. Before then I wore contacts all day.
The procedure itself is very quick. I was really nervous walking into the building but I said a quick prayer and really felt calm after. I know drastic but I was on my own. My surgery was pushed up and Jason had to work. So I had my mom take me and pick me up later. But as for going into the building I was on my own waiting. So I was grateful for the comfort I felt.
You consult with the doctor first before you go in. Really he was so personable, and kind of cute so made it much easier (don't worry I told Jason he was cute). So you go in. They freeze your eye with drops. Then they tape your eye lashes up on one eye and one eye closed. You don't feel the need to blink and you don't see anything so it's not bad. Then they do put a ring over your eye. Maybe that's the weirdest part. So they put this ring on and apply lots of suction. You feel pressure and your vision blacks out. The doctor does prep you for this so it's not unexpected. After a little bit you don't feel the pressure and vision returns. Then it's quick from there 49 seconds for one eye and 45 seconds for the other. You stare at a blinking light and almost through it. In my head you just don't want to move, but I think if you did or could the laser turns off. it's all really safe. Quick and done.
Immediately after you see a haze or film over your eyes. You can see but not perfect. I walked out without glasses and on my own. So that was nice. My mom drove me home. By the time you get home the freezing as worn off and it hurts! It just burns. You don't even know why you did it or what you got yourself in to. You can't open your eyes it hurts. So if you do it, have child care and help. Which I did. My mom stayed till my kids when to bed and Jason was home. After 2-3 hours my eyes were great. Didn't hurt any more. And the next morning I woke up with 20/20 vision. Pretty amazing.
On my 5 day check up. My eyes were a little swollen so it was a little less than 20/20 vision but that's normal, and now they seem just perfect. You go on steroid drops to help that, and antibiotic drops. For the first week I used refresh drops lots. And even in the night I'd wake up to use them one. But since the 8-9 day mark I haven't really needed them. You're supposed to use the refresh drops for like 6 months a couple times a day so that's fine. One thing that is annoying if you have to wear these shields that you tape to your face to bed for 1 week. I lasted 5 days after. But it is for protection. It was just a hassle to get drops in in the middle of the night and they left marks on my face in the morning. But really very worth it.
So now it seems perfect. Better than my glasses. I'll see what my vision is at my 1 month mark. Since it had be 20/20 before the swelling I'm sure it's that. Seems like that. Most mornings I still reach for my glasses and I still ask Jason what time it is because I forget I can see a clock. Perhaps I'll still ask Jason so I can be lazy and not turn over to see a clock. It really is a blessing. What a miracle modern medical technology. Yep it was a "cosmetic" surgery for my healthy eyes but really I can work out without glasses, swim without having to wear contacts and pay the next day for wearing contacts, I can lay on the couch and watch a movie without glasses getting in the way, I can see a clock, I can wear sun glasses. It really is amazing.
This is day 1 or 2 after the surgery. The hematoma is from the suction ring. Just like if someone gave you a hickey on your arm you'd get a bruise, well same thing for your eye.
Just 7 days after the surgery. I could wear make up! As for today day 12 after surgery my red mark is almost gone and they feel great.
2 comments:
Wow!!! I had no idea that it was such a quick and easy procedure. If my eyes get worse I'm signing up for sure. Being able to see would be a dream come true. I'm still at a -3.5 but wearing contacts is getting harder with each year (and each baby).
How exciting. I had LASIK almost 2 years ago, and it was life changing. I am glad you could benefit from it too!
Emily (Leslie's sister)
Post a Comment