Friday, December 20, 2013

Swimming

Talia is in this Swim program through Paul Saddler. I am just amazed with how far she has come! They really don't mess around. They push her. And when I say she needs to be pushed... I don't mean she's bored and so advanced etc. I mean she loves to learn and is smart but she's nervous so she needs a push. And man she has done amazing. In this program you can move up levels within the season and work at your pace. You just stay in that class but work on what you need to accomplish and not what the class is doing. It's all individual. So great.

They don't use life jackets they have these floaties around her arms and a float band around her waist. Eventually they work to not having that on. They also learnt to "doggy" paddle and stay a float. She is well above her level in that. She's up to 25-30 seconds on her own NO floaties. Her second last lesson she actually swam front crawl with just one arm float ring, and on her back she just held one floaty above her belly. I was so impressed. 

Her last class this winter session was a disaster. Funny because on the way to the class she was telling me she wont even be scared of the cold water at echo anymore. So we get to the class and the water heater I guess shut off the night before and the water was a tad chilly. Not lake chilly but cold. Anyways she could barely swim she was so cold, and of course it built up in her head and escalated. She lasted half the class. I felt so bad because it was such a fun class. They played games, snag songs, and Santa came. I did make her stay and watch her class though and take a picture with her teacher.

Regardless of our last day, we just love this program. She's gained confidence and loves going. I can't wait to start Jace when he turns 3.

 
So Talia is oddly scared of men. New men, men she doesn't know. I talked to her and told her before swimming lessons started she may have a male teacher. Anyways it took a few classes and she really warmed up to him. He was so great. Pushed her and was understanding with how she learned. He's also Australian so great accent. I'll have to prep her for next session... it'll probably be another male teacher.


No comments: