Thursday, May 13, 2010

Weird to think we'll be someone's ancestors...




I've been taking a class in Sunday school about genealogy and it's really got me excited about doing my own genealogy. I find myself (except for the last few days because I'm at a standstill) on the computer for hours. I love reading about my ancestors, learning how them and there personalities, and even looking at photos to see if I resemble any of them. I guess by doing my genealogy that's my way of remembering them or even knowing they existed. It's like a hobby, I just can't wait till I find my next piece of information that I can enter and keep in my records. I guess it's not a bad hobby to love.
 
Not only have I fallen in love with learning about and loving my ancestors, my testimony of temples and the principle that families can be together forever have grown so much. I truly believe this is such important work that needs to be done. I believe that there is life after death and I believe that we can be together for eternity through the gift of being sealed together. I've felt strongly that I have ancestors waiting for this opportunity and that I may be person they've been waiting for. I feel selfish and really bad that I haven't taken the time to research or find their information earlier, now I fear there may be some lost information. Either way I feel so blessed with this opportunity and I just hope I can be successful in it. I don't think I can truly put it into words or even want to attempt to explain how this experience has helped me to grow.
 
I love the temple. And to be honest it has taken me a while to recognize that. I've always believed in ordinances performed in the temple but I've been less than willing to go as often as I should. While working on my genealogy my love for the temple is just growing! I can't wait till my genealogy is all complete... well it may never be complete but at least I can try and do my part. Some of my ancestors didn't have the opportunities I have had and through the Lord and programs from the church I can help share those opportunities with them.


Visit http://www.new.familysearch.org/ to start your own family pedigree!
Just a side note, I don't mean for this to come across as if I'm the bomb for doing genealogy work and whatnot, it's just something that I needed to do and found interest in and something I needed in my life at this time.

1 comment:

Leah Karch said...

I taught that course in our ward!! Its so good hey! And don't worry, I am a total geneology dork too. I love it and the temple and can't get enough of either of them. I think its great that you are excited about geneology cause that is how it gets done!