Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Update on Talia and a question for ALL

My big girl (we call her big because... well she's not but to me she is) is 4 and half months. It weird to think I have a 4 and a half month old. Time sure does go by fast and they really do grow up fast.

Talia is such a sweet heart. She usually never cries and when she is cranky she just makes a few whiny sounds and then we know it's time for bed. She can be needed at times, wanting someone to look at her but ever since she's found her feet she mostly just needs those feed in the air and a toe in her mouth and she's good to go! She's starting to roll side to side, and is actually rolling front to back (video to come!), she's laughing, grabbing for everything and putting it in her mouth, drooling like crazy, and still getting used to baby food (not her favorite thing all the time!). Whenever she's tried she likes to be close to me or Jason, and when she's tired and with me she rubs her face and nose all over my face (you may think that's weird... but I secretly love it!). She's starting to wake up only once a night from 8 pm to 8 am, sometimes 2 times but I think in a 12 hour stretch, 1 or 2 times in a 12 hour period is pretty good for now.
Anyways she's a joy to be around and we're grateful to have her!

You may be getting sick of my many photos but I took some photos of her for practicing and experimenting sake, and I like them so I'm sharing them with you! Not sure if Jason is a fan of them because they're darker and not as bright as he likes, but that's what I LOVE about them! It was fun taking them. Talia and I made our own background with my bed sheet over top of the couch and put her right in front of our big window!









So just to add to Talia's update we just weighed her yesterday and she's 25 7/8 inches and a whopping 11 lbs 12 Oz's. I guess the "norm" (what is normal anyways???) is that they're supposed to double their birth weight by 6 months. So Talia was 8 lbs at birth... don't think we're getting there anytime soon, which I am OK with. I guess my question to you is, would you be concerned? We go back and forth with being concerned. On one hand she is growing... VERY slowly but she's super tall and like I said growing hasn't stopped yet! She's active and hitting her mile stones. On the other hand, what if? What if she does stop, like 3 Oz's in 2 weeks really isn't that good. I try to get to her to take a bottle (still no luck), I can't force her to eat more than she does and she is content for 3 hours or so till her next feeding. She doesn't swallow as much as she should but I can't tell her to swallow more. I haven't seen a pediatrician yet but will they tell me the same thing I already know? Feed her high calorie formula... well I think getting on a bottle would be the first step. Do I stop breast feeding cold turkey so she's forced to take a bottle?? What if she doesn't take a bottle after 24 hours? A kid her weight can't go 24 hours! I don't want to stop breast feeding, I actually do enjoy the bond (so far!). My milk supply is kind of dwindling (due to the fact she doesn't actually swallow tons every feed), so I'm trying to pump and get more. Some days are better than others.
 
So the question is what would you do as a mom? Not as a friend but as a mom to a child who's tiny not growing tons but otherwise healthy. It's easy to say don't worry but when it's your kid would you worry?? I haven't been worrying lately (not sure if that's a good thing or not). I only started to think about it again because she had a bad two weeks of weight gain. Maybe next week will be better! I guess what I do for now is just keep 2 week weights till things get better? Or maybe just not worry and leave it.
I think I might go on the side of not worrying (because that's how I feel right now) and just know she's active and may just be our little (not big) girl! Who knows???? Maybe it wasn't her choice to be 8 lbs. at birth (we all saw I big I got), and maybe if it had been her choice she would have been 6 lbs.! So I guess at the rate she's going at she'll be the kid in a facing backward car seat till she's 18 months, with all her long limbs hanging over the side! Now that would be a great photo!
Well I guess either way, big or small, we're blessed to have our little girl who seems to be healthy!

7 comments:

Jenny Fitzner said...

Hey Kamry

that's a tough one. You want her to gain weight, and you're worried about it, but she seems satisfied after feedings. Hmmmmm. I would just call your pediatrician. Sometimes talking to the nurse on the phone or taking her in may put your mind at ease. and there's no harm at all in calling to make sure. At least at this point you know that she's growing, even if it's a little bit. I'm sorry Kamry, that has to be so frustrating. Be Strong!

kelseyp said...

Kamry,
I wouldn't worry. I would start worrying if she seems upset or not her content self. Babies grow at different speeds. Although with my second baby (ella) I did start drying up at 5 months also and by 6 months she seemed to be losing weight so I did what I said what I didn't want to do and started supplementing her a few bottles a day and she really started filling out. But if she seems content I really wouldn't worry... I do know there is something to be said about mothers intution and if you feel like there is something to be worried about the I would for sure see a pediatrician. It puts a lot of pressure on us moms to trust our gut but I know it has served me well in the past 3 years... woahh long comment!

LFixsen said...

I never produced enough milk for Wyatt, but I knew right away that he was hungry because he would scream from like 7 in the evening on because I just didn't have enough for him. (initially I just thought it was gas My mom finally convinced me to try supplementing him and he downed a 4 oz bottle of formula like nothing I've ever seen. We continued to breastfeed and do bottles till he was nearly 1 and it worked great for us, but if Talia won't take a bottle that won't help, and if she's content then that is a totally different story. She is little, but she is growing so keep doing what you are doing? What are you doing with the milk you pump? Just storing it? I totally agree with the above comment of trusting your gut!! Plus your husband is a doctor, you girls are in good hands!

Alysha Sladek said...

i put will on a bottle. I'm sure my other kids would've actually gained weight if i'd gone the bottle route with them too. it's hard and sad because i miss that time with them. but once will was on a bottle he actually chunked up!! he refused to take one from me so maren got him to take it. she watched him one night and he had no other option but to take it. good luck with that. it is a tough decision.

Kamry Low said...

Thanks everyone, good advice. I'm not supper worried but i just want to do whats best. i may have to do what alysha said, leave her for a night and hopefully she'll take a bottle! maybe she'll still breast feed as well! i do enough our time together... for now!

Amelia said...

I'll take her for the night and feed her a bottle...well try to. Not that I am magic, but I am persistant, and innovative, and I am not her mom, so maybe she'll do it. If this doesn't work, I would put a tube down her and give her continuous feeds through out the day for a week and see what happens. The next week you could do q 3hr feeds (without the pump). That's what I'd do. :)

I can't wait until she will take formula and she just turns out to be this huge butterball buddha baby. :)

Amelia said...

By the way, I LOVE LOVE LOVE The teddy bear picture...